top of page

Candle Care and Safety


We want you to enjoy your candles/wax melts but there are some important instructions/warnings/guidance that everyone should follow when using candles. This is for your safety and to get maximum benefit from your candles so please read (all Red Kite Candles/Wax melts are sold with safety instructions):

The wick


  • Trim the wick down to a maximum of 1/4 of an inch after each burn. This stops the flame smoking and gives a much longer life to the candle. If the candle does give off sooty smoke, extinguish it and trim the wick before lighting it again.


  • Do not let candles burn in a draught or close to a heat source as this will cause the flame to smoke and burn unevenly.

  • Place candles on steady/even surfaces that will not burn & will not be damaged by slight heat (from the glass), and keep them away from flammable materials such as curtains.

Lighting and Extinguishing


  • Use a proper candle lighter or good quality matches and candle snuffer to light and put out your candles where possible.

  • Each time the candle is extinguished, remove any charred pieces of wick, remains of matches and other impurities, from the melted wax round the wick.

  • When you have lit your candle, make sure it is allowed to burn out to the edge of the glass before extinguishing it. If it only burns for a short while, it will be spoiled by burning downwards and not outwards.




  • Always place candles on a level surface. If burning more than one candle always ensure they are well spaced so that they do not effect each other (i.e. to melt or burn unevenly)

  • Never leave a candle burning unattended. You may think it is safe but you can never be sure so don't risk it.

  • Never leave lit candles alone with children or pets

  • The wax used for our candles is intended for optimum use at room temperature.

  • Ensure that any moisture/water on the surface of the candle is wipped off before lighting, as a few drops of water can cause the flame to spark and crackle.

bottom of page